A Trial of (Minor) Errors

P1010254

Well.

I suppose I should start with what we’ve accomplished since our last post on roofing. We’ve finished sheathing the roof, put rafters up in the dormers, and tar papered the sides of the house. It’s been a lot of off and on work, scattered by rain.

We’ve definitely had our fair share of minor errors lately (luckily all fixable).

For example, a couple days ago we looked at the hourly weather forecast (side-note: never trust the hourly weather forecast) and saw we had supposedly three clear hours until it was going to rain. So we got an early start and headed to the blue supply store looking for flashing for the windows. We wanted to get a kind that didn’t have aluminum, because aluminum corrodes when exposed to cedar, and we plan to use cedar siding. So we searched, and of course they didn’t have anything of the sort.

So we went down the road to the orange supply store. As we looked around, a guy in a blue shirt carrying a weed hacker, asked us if we needed help finding anything. He wasn’t wearing an orange apron so we didn’t think he worked there, but hey, he was willing to help, so why not. So we told him about the flashing, and he had us follow him to the other end of the store. There, he asked a guy (this one donning the famed orange apron), who pointed us in the direction we had just come. “It’s the black stuff, right? Go to the end of isle 19; it’s about eye level on the left.” So we headed that direction. The weed hacker dude passed isle 19, so I asked, “Um, didn’t he say isle 19?” “Oh, he did,” the guy replied. We made our way down isle 19, and lo and behold, there was no flashing. So weed hacker dude found another guy, who pointed us down another isle to “the black shelving”. As we turned, weed hacker dude disappeared, and the new guy came with us. It turned out instead to be at the end of the isle, along the back wall. And of course, they didn’t have the stuff we needed either. Just then, the first orange apron guy came up to us with black stuff in his hand. It was zip tape. “Is this what you were looking for?” “Not quite, but thank you.” So half an hour into our adventure, we still had no window flashing.

So we decided that we’d need to order it. We still had around 2.5hrs before rain was to come in, so what should we do? We decided to work on the hurricane ties, but we needed a drill bit.

A drill bit they only carried at the blue store. Of course.

So we headed back to the blue store, picked up the bit, and made our way to the build site…

where we discovered our tarp was breaking, and we had a nice little drippage puddle in our sleeping loft.

Yeah.

P1010088
Not the ones we were having trouble with, but an example of the hurricane ties we are using. Luckily this one went in okay around our wheel well.

So after dealing with that, I tried ratcheting a hurricane tie into a tight spot (between two wall studs) while Drew wrestled a drill bit that eventually decided it would prefer to live deep down in our trailer for all of eternity rather than come back out again.

So now we have a drill bit stuck in our trailer.
Awesome.

At that point, we called it quits for the day.

The following day was better. Besides the fact it decided to rain every fifteen minutes, off and on (I wish I was exaggerating), we still managed to install the dormer wall sheathing and attach the dormer rafters. We’d undo the tarp just over the dormers, work about 10 minutes, then cover it up again and sit underneath until the rain passed. Surprisingly we still managed to get a lot done.

Wrapping tar paper was an experience. Note: to any of you planning on putting tar paper on your tiny house, make sure you keep your line completely even. Otherwise, if you’re wrapping one whole layer all around the house, it will likely be uneven by the end of it. We were off by a few inches, but we kept our diagonal course and covered all the walls.

P1010245
Working on layer two. We worked our way upwards so that when water hits it, it will roll off the trailer instead of underneath the next layer of tar paper.

Next, we began sheathing the dormers. This process was similar to that of sheathing the walls, only made more difficult by height. Everything went smoothly though, thankfully. The coolest part was when we routed out the holes for the dormer windows and the skylight. Being in the loft felt like a tree house. It doesn’t feel small either, which is surprising for a tiny house. I guess because we have so many windows.

We’re moving along, slowly but surely!

P1010303
Drew standing in the skylight opening he’d just routed.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s