We’ve recently been working on the bike box (see part one here) and are now onto building the bike box doors. The doors were a bit tricky because the pitch at the top of the doors had to match the pitch of the roof. So we set to measuring and building.
We began with building the frame to the dimensions of the opening. We used 6 inch log screws to connect the boards, mainly because they were the longest we had and nothing else would do it. We then cut the top piece and adhered it with the same log screws we’d used below.
Next, we routed out a ledge along the back of the door frame where our cedar tongue and groove boards would fall. We did this so that the back of the door would lay flush with the frame so we’d have even surface to roll our bikes on up into the box. Using the router was rough – the first time we used it the bit bore too far into the wood and cracked it. After replacing the piece of wood, we tried again. We had a close call when we plugged the router in and it suddenly started up. Drew did a magic ‘oh crap’ dance and stopped it from running into anything.
Next, we cut the cedar tongue and groove to size to fit into the grooves in the door frame. Drew then used a pin nailer to adhere them to the door. As an extra protection, we attached a bit of 1/4 inch trim around the back to prevent the boards from coming loose. Here is the finished product!
We completed the other door in the same fashion and then attached some oil-rubbed door hinges to the bottoms.
…And then it snowed.
Which unfortunately slowed us down for a few days, but once it melted enough we were able to get back to work. We put down boards so we could get across the snow without tracking mud or snow everywhere, which was great until the snow under the boards turned to mush and we began slipping and sliding everywhere… Not something you want to do while carrying power tools.
Next it was on to the siding! I installed rain screen on the back wall along the stud lines (which I drew with chalk so I knew where they were). The process was the same as when we installed it on the large walls, but conveniently much shorter and reachable.
We inserted the top ends of the tar paper under the trim so as to prevent water from getting in.
Next, we added the siding. Again, same process as on the house, only conveniently within reach (though the snow did add it’s own challenges..)
Now the three sides were done, so it was time for the roof! We hadn’t received the roofing yet, so we (luckily) needed to wait until the ground was dry.
I ended up working on shakes while Drew finished the roofing. Since the bike box is kind of a mini tiny house, the roofing wasn’t nearly as complicated as it was on the ‘big house’. Drew adhered the panels to the roof with roofing screws, leaving a short overhang over the door to help prevent water from sneaking in through the door opening. Then he installed “Z” flashing, a type of flashing that the top panel adheres to. Because our kitchen window extends so low near the roof, Drew cut the transition flashing around the window in order for it to fit. He finished the process by sealing the top with a layer of silicone.
And the bike box is finished! (Aside from a few tweaks here and there…)